Private Tour: Alexandria Day Trip from Cairo
Take a fascinating private tour to Alexandria from Cairo in the company of your own Egyptologist guide. With your own private Egyptologist guide to lead the way, you'll enjoy personalized attention on your private tour of Alexandria. As this is a private tour, you can determine the amount of time you'd like to spend at each of the sites in Alexandria you'll visit.
· Private day trip to Alexandria from Cairo
· Kom ash-Shuqqafa Roman burial site
· Pompey's Pillar and Roman amphitheater
· Alexandria Library, home to a copy of every book published in the world
· Enjoy privileged, personalized attention from your expert Egyptologist guide on this special private tour
· Pickup and drop-off from central Cairo and Giza hotels
The second largest city in Egypt, Alexandria has an atmosphere that is more Mediterranean than Middle Eastern and is famous for its Roman remains. Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great in 312 B.C., and was the capital of Graeco-Roman Egypt.
Your first stop in this historic city is the catacombs of Kom ash-Shuqqafa, a Roman burial site whose family tomb reveals the merging of Egyptian and Roman art and architecture. Descend below ground to visit the tomb and Caracalla Hall.
Back above ground, continue to Pompey's Pillar, an 82-foot (25-meter) granite column built to honor Emperor Diocletian, who freed the besieged city and brought food to its starving people. Continuing the Roman theme, the next site your guide will show you is the Roman amphitheater, possibly the best preserved Roman site in Egypt. The site also includes the remains of a Roman street and homes.
Than you will visit the famous Alexandria Library. In contrast to the ancient architecture found throughout Egypt, the Norwegian-designed building is a striking piece of modern design. A copy of every book published in the world is kept in the library, making it one of the great literary sites in the world. The library also houses several exhibitions relating to the history of Egypt and a display of rare antique books (additional cost).
Tour departs from centrally located Cairo and Giza hotels
11 hours (approx.)
· Qualified Egyptologist guide
· Entrance fees
· Hotel pickup and drop off
· Transport by air-conditioned minivan
· Gratuities (recommended)
· Food and drinks, unless specified